Acids and Bases on Final

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Emily_Stenzler_2H

Acids and Bases on Final

Postby Emily_Stenzler_2H » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:23 pm

Does anyone have any idea as to how much of the final is going to be on acids and bases? I'm definitely struggling with this and am worried about it being a big part of tomorrow :/ I'm especially stuck when it comes to determining if something (other than the strong acids and bases) is a bronstead acid or base. I thought bases had the OH group but have seen this is not in a majority of bases. How would we tell if something is acidic or basic?
Last edited by Emily_Stenzler_2H on Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Acids and Bases on Final

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:34 pm

Remember that there are different definitions of acids and bases. Be sure to understand the bronsted Lowry, Arrhenius, and Lewis definitions of acids and bases.

Tanya Nguyen 1B

Re: Acids and Bases on Final

Postby Tanya Nguyen 1B » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:39 pm

I would try and memorize the strong Bronsted acids and bases, anything that is not those are weak acids or bases. The strong Bronsted acids are H2SO4, HI, HBr, HNO3, HCl, HClO3, HClO4, another way to quickly memorize this is to remember the phrase "Sorry I Brought No Clean Clothes". For strong bases it would be hydroxides of group 1 and 2 (except Be) LiOH, NaOH, KOH, RbOH, CsOH, Ca(OH)2, Sr(OH)2, Ba(OH)2.

Return to “Bronsted Acids & Bases”