Chapter 12 #9c and 9d

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

SubparChemist

Chapter 12 #9c and 9d

Postby SubparChemist » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:36 pm

"Which of the following reactions can be classified as reactions between Bronsted acids and bases? For those that can be so classified, identify the acid and the base. (Hint: It may help to write the net ionic equations.)"

c. CH3COOH(aq) + NH3(aq) --> CH3CONH2(aq) + H2O(l)

I'm not entirely sure what the net ionic equation would like here for c., the book says it's not a reaction between a Bronsted acid and base and I'm not sure why.

d. NH4I(am) + KNH2(am) --> KI(am) + 2NH3(l) (Note: "am" indicates that liquid ammonia is the solvent)

Same problem with d. as I'm having with c., not sure what the net ionic equation for this reaction would look like or really why it would or would not be considered a reaction between a Bronsted acid and base. I think I can figure it out if someone just helps with what the net ionic equations for both of these are.

Thanks in advance.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 734 times

Re: Chapter 12 #9c and 9d

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:55 am

c) is not an acid base reaction, but rather a different chemical reaction. Imagine that NH3 was written as "H--NH2" and then that the NH2 swapped places with the OH in COOH. This is not a simple proton transfer (and is actually called amidation).

d) these salts will be solvated (disocciated) in ammonia so the net ionic equation is just NH4+ + NH2- --> 2NH3.

Return to “Bronsted Acids & Bases”