Bronsted Acid definition

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Shania Garrison Discussion 3E

Bronsted Acid definition

Postby Shania Garrison Discussion 3E » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:17 pm

The Bronsted definition states that an acid is a proton donor. Is this proton always going to be H+? And if not, what are other examples of proton (if possible can you include a simpler and more complex example please)?

Neelaj Das 3I

Re: Bronsted Acid definition

Postby Neelaj Das 3I » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:27 pm

Based on the problems we will have, yes the proton will essentially always be H+. We probably won't come across other examples of singular protons like H+ because they're hard to come by as a proton is simply an atom with only one proton and no electrons. This can only occur with H+.

Baffour Adusei 1L
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Baffour Adusei 1L » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:43 pm

Hey! I think we will only work with hydrogen for this class If you think about it, since a hydrogen atom is one proton and one electron, a H+ ion is just one proton. So this works simply for hydrogen in a way that wouldn't work for the other elements.

Celine Khuu 2F

Postby Celine Khuu 2F » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:27 pm

For the scope of this class, I would generally always assume that the proton is H+.

Jacob Bright 1C

Postby Jacob Bright 1C » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:27 pm

We visualize the H+ ion as a proton because this is an ion of hydrogen which has lost its one electron. Ground-state hydrogen also lacks a neutron, meaning all that H+ consists of is a single proton. The presence of a neutron may not actually matter (I'm not entirely sure), but I included it anyway for this explanation. It would be difficult and/or unnecessary to create another ion that represents a single proton when H+ is so simple and works for almost any example that requires it in this course. I also think it would be near impossible since every element after hydrogen features more than one proton and therefore even if electrons were removed the atom would no longer represent just a single proton. Therefore, I think all you should worry about for now is knowing H+ is a proton and try not considering other alternatives. Hope this helps!

Isabelle Rieke-Wey 2G

Postby Isabelle Rieke-Wey 2G » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:29 pm

Hi!
As far as I know, yes, the proton will always be H+. This is because hydrogen has one proton and one electron, making the H+ ion have one proton.

Return to “Bronsted Acids & Bases”