Strong base vs Weak acid

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Strong base vs Weak acid

Postby 405490807 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:18 pm

How do you differentiate between a strong base and a weak acid? The definition I have is that a weak acid is completely ionized in a solution and a strong base is completely ionized in water, is the difference between the solution vs only water?

Ella Henrickson 3I

Re: Strong base vs Weak acid

Postby Ella Henrickson 3I » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:39 pm

A weak acid or base only partially dissociates in water / solution. A strong acid or base completely dissociates in water / solution. As far as I am aware, water and solution are interchangeable terms when we are only talking about the relative strength of an acid or base.

Jennifer Huynh 3I

Postby Jennifer Huynh 3I » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:42 pm

Acids usually involve H at the beginning of the chemical formula or have a COOH group. Organic acids with a COOH group are usually weak acids that do not completely ionize in an aqueous solution. Bases include hydroxides (metal + OH), oxides (metal + O), and compounds that contain nitrogen with a lone pair. Hydroxides and oxides are strong bases that completely ionize in an aqueous solution.

Strong acids and bases completely ionize in an aqueous solution (solution where water is the solvent), and weak acids and bases do not completely ionize in an aqueous solution.

Uma Patil 2A

Postby Uma Patil 2A » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:56 pm

I dont think there is a difference between the terms 'solution' and 'water'. A strong base or acid is one that completely dissociates/ionizes in solution(or water), while a weak base or acid is anything that doesn't completely dissociate/react in water. The difference between acids and bases is that acids react w water in way that forms H3O+, while bases react w water in a way that forms OH-.

Return to “Bronsted Acids & Bases”