Acids and Base  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ivan_Tang_2G

Acids and Base

Postby Ivan_Tang_2G » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:45 pm

How can I tell which is the Acid and which is the Base?

Samuel Mushinski 2G

Re: Acids and Base

Postby Samuel Mushinski 2G » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:26 am

Acids are the molecules donation hydrogen atoms, whereas bases receive these hydrogen atoms in a reaction.

Leo Chang 2H

Postby Leo Chang 2H » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:51 am

Hi,

There are different definitions of acids and bases that can help you determine which molecule in a reaction is an acid or a base.

According to the Bronsted-Lowry definition, acids are proton donors, while bases are proton acceptors.

In the Lewis definition, acids are electron receivers, and bases are electron donors.

Finally, in the Arrhenius definition (which was not discussed in class), acids are molecules that increase the H+ concentration in a solution, and bases increase the OH- concentration in a solution. I would probably focus on the other two definitions of acids and bases for determining which molecules in a solution are acids and bases.

I hope this helps!

Ainsley McCabe 2D

Postby Ainsley McCabe 2D » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:27 am

Make sure to first look at which definition of acid or base the question is referring to because there are three definitions.

The Arrhenius definition of an acid is a compound that increases the H+ concentration in water and an Arrhenius base is a compound that increases the OH- concentration in water.

The Bronsted-Lowry definition of an acid is a proton or H+ donor and the Bronsted-Lowry base is a proton or H+ acceptor.

Lastly, the Lewis definition of an acid is an electron pair acceptor and the Lewis base is an electron pair donor.
I hope these definitions help!! :)

Daniel Tabibian 3K

Re: Acids and Base  [ENDORSED]

Postby Daniel Tabibian 3K » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:40 am

The compound that accepts electrons is the acid and the one that donates them is the base in the lewis definition. The proton donator is the acid and the proton acceptor is the base in the Bronsted definition.

Return to “Bronsted Acids & Bases”