Polyprotic Acids

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rohita Thammineni 2D

Polyprotic Acids

Postby Rohita Thammineni 2D » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:30 pm

Hi! When it comes to polyprotic acids, does the weaker acid dissociating make the pH more acidic, or does it have a negligible effect? I wanted to clarify this because I know that strong acids dissociate much more than weak acids do, so I'm not sure if the weaker acid dissociating would significantly affect the solution...

Anthony Tam

Re: Polyprotic Acids

Postby Anthony Tam » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:22 pm

So I'm pretty sure the weaker acid dissociating has a negligible effect on the pH because it is much harder to lose the H+ from a negatively charged ion. In the textbook in 6E, it says that when estimating the pH of a polyprotic acid we use only the first deprotonation equilibrium and assuming that further deprotonation is insignificant. I think the only exception to this is sulfuric acid (H2SO4) because it is a strong acid. Hope this helps.

Bobak Pourrahimi 2L

Re: Polyprotic Acids

Postby Bobak Pourrahimi 2L » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:58 pm

Assuming we are discussing weak acids, polyprotic weak acids almost always provide a considerable amount of H+ from their first deprotenation, but then it decreases considerably for the second deprotenation due to the significantly higher pKa of the negatively charged polyprotic weak acid in deprotenated form.

Return to “Bronsted Acids & Bases”