Strength of Acid/Base

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Carolina Gura Dis 1B

Strength of Acid/Base

Postby Carolina Gura Dis 1B » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:28 pm

When trying to identify the order of increasing strength of a list of acids and bases, how do you know when the amount (molarity) or pH of that substance will actually dictate its strength? For example, if I had a greater molarity of a weak acid but then I compare it to a smaller molarity of a strong acid, how can I know which is stronger?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Strength of Acid/Base

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:51 am

You can calculate the pH of the solution for the weak acid and the strong acid, and compare those values to determine which one provides a more acidic solution (you would only be able to compare pH values because pKa and Ka values don't apply to strong acids as they completely dissociate). For the weak acid, you would have to be given the pKa or the Ka value (or other concentration values) so you are only dealing with one variable in your solution.

Hope that helps!

bella moore

Postby bella moore » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:53 am

If you know pKA, pKB, kA, kB, pH or pOH, you can compare strengths of acids and bases.

Here’s how I compare

pKA increases = Ka decreases = strength of acid decreases = ph increases = pOH decreases = strength of base increases = Kb increases = pKB decreases.

Wherever you start, you can compare strengths by following this trend.

Elian L

Postby Elian L » Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:03 pm

To identify the strength of acids and bases, focus on their type (strong or weak) rather than their amount (molarity). A strong acid is always stronger than a weak acid, regardless of molarity. For example, even with a smaller amount, a strong acid is stronger than a larger amount of a weak acid. Hope this helps!

Return to “Bronsted Acids & Bases”