memorizing strong acids and bases

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Tyler Thompson 1A

memorizing strong acids and bases

Postby Tyler Thompson 1A » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:07 pm

does anyone have any kind of memory clue or way to remember or memorize the strong acids and bases?

Kenneth Lin 2G
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: memorizing strong acids and bases

Postby Kenneth Lin 2G » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:46 pm

For the strong bases just remember all the alkali metals and alkaline earth metals with OH- are strong bases. Also, CaO is a strong base. For the six strong acids, you can remember that the halogens are strong bases except for fluorine. Then HNO3, HClO4, and H2SO4 are strong acids.

Just remember the first two groups of cations are strong bases with OH. Then for the strong acids just remember the big six which consists of the three halogens and then HNO3, HClO4, and H2SO4.

NellieNguyenDisc3A

Re: memorizing strong acids and bases

Postby NellieNguyenDisc3A » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:05 am

For strong bases, I just remembered them as all the bases that ended with "OH" and contained any element from groups 1 and 2 from the periodic table (alkali metals and alkaline earth metals).

For strong acids, I think I remembered seeing this saying somewhere on social media, it's kind of a weird way to remember it but it's one that stuck for me: (HI), (CL)[censored] is (B)o(R)ing, (NO), (CL)[censored] is (O)ver, (CL)[censored] is (O)ver, (SO) what?

Then add an H in front of everything except for the first acid, and a 3, 3, 4, 4, and 2 to the last few acids to get HI, HCl, HBr, HNO3, HClO3, HClO4, and H2SO4.

This might be a little unconventional, but it helped me remember a small story to remember it :')

Return to “Conjugate Acids & Bases”