Identifying Conjugates

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ava Harvey 2B

Identifying Conjugates

Postby Ava Harvey 2B » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:11 pm

Can someone please explain to me the process of identifying a conjugate acid or a conjugate base? I'm a bit confused on how exactly to do this. Thanks so much!

sofiakavanaugh
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Identifying Conjugates

Postby sofiakavanaugh » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:40 pm

So first what you need to do is identify your acid and your base. Your acid is the one that donates the proton, for example HNO3, to the other molecule in the reaction, such as water. An acid's conjugate base is whatever is leftover after it gives away the proton, in this case NO3-. The base in this reaction is water, as it accepts the proton, and its conjugate acid is the molecule that results from accepting the proton, which in this case is H3O+.

HNO3 (acid) + H2O (base) ---> H30+ (conjugate acid) + NO3- (conjugate base)

Hope that helps :)

Yiwei Zhou 2I

Re: Identifying Conjugates

Postby Yiwei Zhou 2I » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:01 pm

A conjugate acid contains one more H atom and one more + charge than the base that formed it.
A conjugate base contains one less H atom and one more - charge than the acid that formed it.
Take a example:
HCO₃⁻ + H₂O → H₂CO₃ + OH⁻
base + acid → Conj A + Conj B
HCO₃⁻ becomes H₂CO₃. It has one more H atom and one more + charge. So H₂CO₃ is the conjugate acid of HCO₃⁻.
The H₂O becomes OH⁻. It has one less H atom and one more – charge. So OH⁻ is the conjugate base of H₂O.

Return to “Conjugate Acids & Bases”