Identifying conjugate acids & bases

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kelly Cai 4D

Identifying conjugate acids & bases

Postby Kelly Cai 4D » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:07 pm

When HCN dissolves in H2O, this forms CN- and hydroxide. HCN is the acid and CN- is the conjugate base. However, is H2O the base or is it the conjugate acid?

SarahSteffen_LEC4

Re: Identifying conjugate acids & bases

Postby SarahSteffen_LEC4 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:11 pm

I thought HCN reacted with H2O to form CN- and H3O^+. So if this is the case, I'd say water is a base because it accepts a proton to form a Hydronium atom. But if it forms a hydroxide ion like you say, then it would be considered an acid, as it would donate one of its hydrogens to form the hydroxide.

Michelle Xie 2B

Postby Michelle Xie 2B » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:45 pm

Water acts as the base. It can do this because it is an amphoteric molecule. I also think you meant the hydronium ion instead of the hydroxide ion.

Abby Soriano 1J

Postby Abby Soriano 1J » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:05 pm

As stated above, HCN will react with H2O to form CN- and H3O+. In this case, H2O is acting as a base since it is accepting a proton. The resulting H3O+ is the conjugate acid of H2O that can then act as an acid to donate a proton. However, it's important to remember that H2O is amphoteric and thus can also act as an acid where it donates a proton to produce OH-. The trick to knowing whether H2O will act as an acid or base lies in recognizing whether the other molecule itself is an acid or base.

Return to “Conjugate Acids & Bases”