Acid/base reactions

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

ayushibanerjee06
Been upvoted: 1 time

Acid/base reactions

Postby ayushibanerjee06 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:04 pm

I'm kind of confused about acid/base reactions. So acids are classified as electron pair acceptors (Lewis) and proton donors (Bronsted) and bases are classified as electron pair donors (Lewis) and proton acceptors (Bronsted). When we do chemical equations for proton transfer, I always get confused because I keep thinking that acids should gain the H+ and bases should lose the H+. For these questions, should we always follow the Bronsted Lowry definition? If so, how do you know when to use the Lewis or Bronsted definition?

Aarja Pavade 1H

Re: Acid/base reactions

Postby Aarja Pavade 1H » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:12 pm

If you consider H+ as a proton, it should not make sense that Lewis acids will accept H+, as they are electron pair acceptors. If you think about the conjugate base of an acid, it will have a more negative charge than the acid since it has lost a proton/gained an electron pair. Hopefully this helps.

Gerald Bernal1I

Postby Gerald Bernal1I » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:14 pm

The lewis acid and base definition is used more for salts and compounds that do not have H ions or do not fit the definition of a bronsted acid or base. For a majority of acids and bases, the bronsted acid definition is used unless otherwise noted.

Amina Durrani 3G

Postby Amina Durrani 3G » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:16 pm

And remember that Lewis Acids/Bases are always Bronsted Acids/Bases but not the other way around.

Return to “Conjugate Acids & Bases”