Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Quinn W 2A

What does "conjugate" mean?

Postby Quinn W 2A » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:27 pm

Can someone go into detail about this?

Justin An 2L

Re: What does "conjugate" mean?

Postby Justin An 2L » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:55 pm

So when acids/bases are produced, the conjugate is essentially the other ion/compound that is produced.

Conjugate acids are the compounds/ions formed when bases gain a proton (H+) and conjugate bases are the compounds/ions acids when acids lose a proton. Attached below are some examples!

Meagan Kimbrell 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Meagan Kimbrell 1I » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:02 pm

The conjugate is the resulting compound after the acid or base loses or gains a proton, respectively.
For example in the reaction CH3NH2 + H30+ --> CH3NH3 + H20, the base, CH3NH2 gains a proton and becomes the conjugate acid, CH3NH3+. The acid, H30+, loses a proton and becomes the conjugate base H2O.

Anna Furton

Postby Anna Furton » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:03 pm

The above diagrams are very helpful! I remember how to find conjugate acids and bases best by remembering that:

If you are given an acid, to find the conjugate base you take away an H.
If you are given a base, to find the conjugate acid you add an H.

This is because an acid is a proton donor, so when that proton is donated, the conjugate base will have one less H. A base is a proton acceptor, so its conjugate acid will gain one H.

Kimia Rategh 2A

Postby Kimia Rategh 2A » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:14 pm

The diagrams and explanations everyone has provided are incredibly helpful and thorough. I just wanted to reiterate somethings. An acid has its respective conjugate base because we know that acids are proton donors and therefore when they do donate a proton, the resulting compound is a conjugate base, which is often weak. This is because the acid was longing to get rid of a proton and therefore, when it did, it became relatively stable and therefore is less willing to accept a proton (bases are proton acceptors). The same goes for bases and their conjugate acids. Bases are proton acceptors and therefore when they do accept a proton, the resulting compound is its conjugate acid. Similar to the strength of conjugate bases, conjugate acids are relatively stable and therefore not willing to let go of that proton which is why they are considered weak. Hope this helps!

Return to “Conjugate Acids & Bases”