Conjugate Acid pKa

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Tiahna Thomas 2C

Conjugate Acid pKa

Postby Tiahna Thomas 2C » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:22 pm

If you are looking at the pKa for a conjugate acid (like in number 14 of the Week 10 Achieve problems), why does the diagram for pH vs pKa change? Typically, like in the problem previous, if the pH is greater than the pKa the species was more basic and was negatively charged, and was more acidic and neutral if the pH was lower. But for this example, if the pH is greater and the species is more basic, why is the species neutral? On this problem, if the pH was lower and was more acidic, the species was positively charged. How do we know when to expect the charges to be positive or negative, therefore telling us where the species would be neutral? Thank you!

Warren Jolicoeur 1B

Re: Conjugate Acid pKa

Postby Warren Jolicoeur 1B » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:41 pm

Problem 14 was discussing asking about the PH of a Base, but it gave the PH (pKA) of that base's conjugate acid. With the conjugate acid's pKA we can find out the base's pKA, (I know I do it wrong but) I take the superscript on the acid's pKA and subtract that from 14 to find out the base's pKA. Once you do that, you can see the base has a lower pKA than the PH, therefore it is charged. Hope that rambling made sense as it seems to work for me.

Return to “Conjugate Acids & Bases”