Acidity
Basicity
The Conjugate Seesaw

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Samantha Lee 1A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Overall Rxn K

Postby Samantha Lee 1A » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:40 am

In today's lecture, Dr. Lavelle combined several chemical reactions together and found the overall K. I was a little confused and wanted to make sure I understood this correctly: you add the reactions together and multiply the K's together, correct? Any other tips on how to approach questions like these or is this the basis of the concept?

SelenaDahabreh1D
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: Overall Rxn K

Postby SelenaDahabreh1D » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:44 am

I think Dr. Lavelle discussed this to highlight the basic concept that the overall Ka value is the product of Ka1 and Ka2. So, I believe that you are going about performing this correctly. But I also think that the biggest takeaway from this was that Ka1>Ka2>Ka3 because it harder to deprotonate a negatively charged ion, which you would eventually visually see when you add the reactions together.

Andrew Wang 1C
Been upvoted: 5 times

Re: Overall Rxn K

Postby Andrew Wang 1C » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:44 am

Yes, when you combine (add) the two reactions together you would multiply their individual K's together to get the K of the overall reaction. I think the equilibrium constants will be covered more in-depth in 14B, and for this class just know KA decreases as you remove more protons, and that a higher KA means a stronger acid.

Return to “Acidity & Basicity Constants and The Conjugate Seesaw”