What is the Conjugate Seesaw

Acidity
Basicity
The Conjugate Seesaw

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

samanthaywu

What is the Conjugate Seesaw

Postby samanthaywu » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:57 am

Can someone explain this idea of the conjugate seesaw? I don't really remember learning this before, but I'm curious what it is because it sounds interesting!

Gwendolyn Hill 2F
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: What is the Conjugate Seesaw

Postby Gwendolyn Hill 2F » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:37 am

I believe that the conjugate see-saw concept is about the stronger the acid, the weaker the conjugate base, and the stronger the base, the weaker the conjugate acid. Like a seesaw! The stronger acid will "weigh down" their side of the seesaw, and therefore the base will be "higher up", at a weaker point. Same for a stronger base! I believe the reasoning behind this is because stronger acids produce weaker conjugate bases b/c the bases are less likely to accept the protons that would create the acid again.

Joseph_Armani_3K

Postby Joseph_Armani_3K » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:36 pm

The stronger the acid, the weaker the conjugate base, and the stronger the base, the weaker the conjugate acid. This is because, for example in strong acids, the proton transfer equilibrium favors the formation of H3O+ ions, therefore, the splitting of the H+ ion from the strong acid. Thus, the conjugate base is weak because equilibrium doesn't favor the formation of OH-.

Sahaj Patel Lec3DisK
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sahaj Patel Lec3DisK » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:18 pm

Essentially, the stronger the acid, the weaker its conjugate base. The stronger the base, the weaker its conjugate acid.

SelenaDahabreh1D
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby SelenaDahabreh1D » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:07 pm

I kind of like to draw it out and physically visualize a seesaw. When a stronger acid is present, then that means that the acid's conjugate base will be weaker. Vice versa for a stronger base. When a stronger base is present, then that means that the base's conjugate acid will be weaker.

Aliya 1H

Postby Aliya 1H » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:10 pm

You can think about it like this: the stronger the acid, the weaker its conjugate base & the stronger the base, the weaker its conjugate acid. This is because the [H3O+][OH-] concentrations make up the equilibrium constant K, so you can think about it like if [H3O+] increases, [OH-] must decrease to keep the K at the same value (and vice versa).

Rahul Sobti 1E

Postby Rahul Sobti 1E » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:38 pm

This means that every acid has a conjugate base and every base has a conjugate acid. So, if you have a strong acid, its conjugate base is weak and if you have a strong base, its conjugate acid is weak.

jadensteplight_2F

Postby jadensteplight_2F » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:57 pm

The Conjugate seesaw is essentially what it describes: a seesaw of conjugates. An acid and its conjugate base are opposite, or rather one weighs down the other in the seesaw. The same goes for vice versa. Hope that makes sense!

Karina Grover 1A

Postby Karina Grover 1A » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:21 pm

The conjugate seesaw works like this: the stronger the acid, the weaker its conjugate base; the weaker the acid, the stronger its conjugate base; the stronger the base, the weaker its conjugate acid; the weaker the base, the stronger its conjugate acid. I hope this helps!

Grecia Velasco 1G

Postby Grecia Velasco 1G » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:11 pm

samanthaywu wrote:Can someone explain this idea of the conjugate seesaw? I don't really remember learning this before, but I'm curious what it is because it sounds interesting!

Here are the rules between Acids/Bases and Conjugate Acids/Bases or the conjugate seesaw:
If strong acid, then weak conjugate base
If weak acid, then strong conjugate base
If strong base, then weak conjugate base
If weak base, then strong conjugate acid

Crystal Pan 2G
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Crystal Pan 2G » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:03 pm

The conjugate seesaw essentially says
- the stronger the acid, the weaker the conjugate base.
- the stronger the base, the weaker the conjugate acid.
- the weaker the acid, the stronger the conjugate base
- the weaker the base, the stronger the conjugate acid.

Alejandro Gonzalez 2G

Postby Alejandro Gonzalez 2G » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:00 am

I believe Dr. Lavelle described the conjugate seesaw as being along the lines of the stronger the acid, the weaker its conjugate base, and the stronger the base, the weaker its conjugate acid.

Return to “Acidity & Basicity Constants and The Conjugate Seesaw”