Sapling Question 3

Acidity
Basicity
The Conjugate Seesaw

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

rita_debbaneh2G

Sapling Question 3

Postby rita_debbaneh2G » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:04 am

How do you use the quadratic equation to solve for percent ionization?

Neal_Agarwal_3B

Re: Sapling Question 3

Postby Neal_Agarwal_3B » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:33 am

You can use the quadratic equation to solve for percent ionization by calculating the value of X which will likely be the concentration of H+ or OH- you are trying to find. If you are trying to find the initial concentration of the acid/base and you are given the equilibrium concentration of the acid/base, you can add the X calculated from the quadratic equation to the final equilibrium concentration amount to find the initial amount. Its important to remember percent ionization is ([A]final/[HA]initial) *100. I hope this helps!

Ashley Ko 3I

Postby Ashley Ko 3I » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:37 am

Hi! By using the quadratic equation, x = -b +/- rad(b^2-4ac)/2a, you can solve for x, which represents the concentration of the ions resulting from the dissociation of the acid or base. Then, you can find the percent ionization by dividing x by the initial concentration of the acid or base (given in the question) and then multiply this value by 100% (x/[initial concentration of acid/base] x 100). Hope this helps!

Daniela Santana 2L

Postby Daniela Santana 2L » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:12 pm

Hi! You use the quadratic formula to solve for x. Once you have the value of x you can take your x value and divide it by the initial value of the acid given in the problem. Once you have found this just multiply it by 100 and the value you get is the percent ionization. I hope this helped!

Alejandro Gonzalez 2G

Postby Alejandro Gonzalez 2G » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:53 pm

I believe you use the quadratic formula to solve for x (the change in concentration), which is then plugged into the percent ionization equation. (dividing the newly found x by the initial concentration then multiplying by 100)

Return to “Acidity & Basicity Constants and The Conjugate Seesaw”