Using ICE Table

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Using ICE Table

Postby 304751905 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:11 pm

Hi, can someone help me understand which situations we use an ICE table in? Thanks.

JennaMinami1I

Re: Using ICE Table

Postby JennaMinami1I » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:28 pm

Hi! ICE table really confused me at first but basically:

I stands for Initial
C stands for change
E stands for equilibrium

You will usually have to use the ICE table in order to find concentrations or partial pressure at equilibrium when the system is not at equilibrium, or to find Kp, Kc, Ka, or Kb.

Put the initial concentrations (or pp) of reactants and products in the I row. If you are only given the value for reactants, you can assume that the value for products is 0 (because no product is formed before the reaction begins - it is all reactants).

Next, find the change. This is the initial value, +/- x. If the reaction is going forward, x will be subtracted from reactants and added to products. Look at the amount of moles of reactant to determine the amount of x

Finally, input the initial added to the change in to the equilibrium row. These are the expressions you will input in to the K equation.

EX:

3AH(aq) ⇌ 3A-(aq) + H+(aq)

You have 0.100 M of A. Find an expression for Ka
3A 3A- H+
I 0.100 0 0
C -3x +3x +x
E 0.100-3x 3x x

Ka= (3x^3)(x)/(0.100-3x)^3

(Most likely you will be given enough information so that you are only solving for one variable, either the K value or the x value.)

Hope this helped!

Return to “Calculating pH or pOH for Strong & Weak Acids & Bases”