Question 12.61 (Sixth Edition)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Steve Magana 2I

Question 12.61 (Sixth Edition)

Postby Steve Magana 2I » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:32 pm

Question: 12.61 Find the initial concentration of the weak acid or base in each of the following aqueous solutions: (a) a solution of HClO with pH = 4.60; (b) a solution of hydrazine, NH2NH2, with pH = 10.20.

I'm having trouble starting this question, can someone help please? Thank you!

KatelinTanjuaquio 1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Question 12.61 (Sixth Edition)

Postby KatelinTanjuaquio 1L » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:07 am

To start this problem, you would need to convert the pH into molarity by using 10^-4.60. Then, set up an ICE table with the molarity found as the H3O+ equilibrium concentration. Set the initial condition of HClO to x then subtract the molarity found from that, which will be the final equilibrium of HClO. You can then set up an equilibrium expression, set the equilibrium expression equal to the Ka value of HClO, and solve for x.

Repeat for part b.

Jayasuriya Senthilvelan 4I

Re: Question 12.61 (Sixth Edition)

Postby Jayasuriya Senthilvelan 4I » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:39 am

Set up an ICE table, but this fill in the equilibrium concentration of H+ ions (do 10 ^ -pH). Write the reaction, and it should be evident that the concentration of H+ is the same as that of the equilibrium concentration of conjugate. Then, if we suppose that we start with some x amount of initial acid, then the equilibrium concentration of unreacted acid is x - i, where i the concentration of H+ ions (since the concentration of H+ ions at equilibrium is equal to the change). Then, plug in all your numbers in to equation for the Ka, and solve!

Return to “Calculating pH or pOH for Strong & Weak Acids & Bases”