Strong vs. weak acids and bases

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Amy Luu 2G

Strong vs. weak acids and bases

Postby Amy Luu 2G » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:51 pm

In the textbook, it states that "Acid strengths of binary acids across a period correlate with electron affinities; acid strengths down a group correlate with bond strength."
What does this mean? I am having trouble understanding this

kevinolvera1j

Re: Strong vs. weak acids and bases

Postby kevinolvera1j » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:46 am

for a given period, the strength of an acid (specifically of an element only bonded to hydrogen) increases as you go from left to right e.g. nitrogen to oxygen to fluorine. As you go down a group, the strength of an acid increases e.g. the halogens. HI>HBr>HCl>HF

Ashley Osorio

Postby Ashley Osorio » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:49 am

Can someone explain why the trend makes sense with details?

Jocelyn Thorp 1A

Postby Jocelyn Thorp 1A » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:14 am

Ashley Osorio wrote:Can someone explain why the trend makes sense with details?

ok so as I understand it, a strong acid and a strong base dissolve COMPLETELY in a solution. A compound is will dissolve more easily if the bond is easier to break. The bond strength goes down as you go down in a group because the ionic radius is increasing (the further the electrons are from the nucleus, the less attraction there is). When the bond strength is less, the bond is easier to break (requires less energy) and thus will be a stronger acid/base :) There's a video in Khan Academy that mentions this here(https://www.khanacademy.org/science/chemistry/acids-and-bases-topic/acids-and-bases/v/acid-strength-anion-size-and-bond-energy)if my explanation is lacking.

Return to “Calculating pH or pOH for Strong & Weak Acids & Bases”