Week 2 Sapling Homework - Question #5

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Eliana Carney 3E

Week 2 Sapling Homework - Question #5

Postby Eliana Carney 3E » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:54 pm

Hey guys! I'm having a little bit of trouble on question #5 in the Week 2 Sapling homework. The question reads "The Kb for an amine is 5.320x10^-5. What percentage of the amine is protonated if the pH of a solution of the amine is 9.701?".

-For starters, I wrote out a formula for the chemical reaction that uses B in place of an amine. The formula goes: B(aq) + H2O(l) → BH+(aq) + OH-(aq).
-Then, I calculated the pOH using the formula pOH = 14 - pH = 14 - 9.701 = 4.299. I then used this to calculate [OH-] by calculating 10^-4.299 = 5.032X10^-5.
-Next, I wrote the formula for Kb which is: Kb = [BH+][OH-] / [B]. I then rearranged this formula to solve for [B]. This rearrangement came out to:
[B] = [BH+][OH-] / Kb.
-After that, I plugged in the calculated concentrations ([BH+] = [OH-] because they are present in a 1:1 ratio) and the given Kb value and solved for [B]. When I did this, I got [B] = 4.743x10^-5.
-I then calculated the percentage protonation using the formula: % protonation = ([BH+] / [B]) x 100%. When I plugged in the numbers I calculated above the the percentage protonation formula, I got 105.9% which doesn't make sense.

I can't figure out where I went wrong either in my approach to the problem or my calculations. If someone could possibly point out my mistake, it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

ChihWei Chen 2C

Re: Week 2 Sapling Homework - Question #5

Postby ChihWei Chen 2C » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:07 am

Hi!

Basically, you used the equilibrium concentration of amine instead of the initial concentration to calculate percent ionization.

if you did an ICE table, the equilibrium concentration of the amine is [ x minus (the [OH-] concentration you calculated)], which is the one you just calculated. x is the original concentration you are trying to solve for. I believe you just have to add 1.205 x 10^-5 to the amine concentration you calculated to get the original amine concentration and use that to calculate the percent ionization.

Hope this helps!

Steph Du 1H
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Steph Du 1H » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:14 pm

For [B] did you make sure that it is ?

Daniela Santana 2L

Postby Daniela Santana 2L » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:54 pm

ChihWei Chen 2C wrote:Hi!

Basically, you used the equilibrium concentration of amine instead of the initial concentration to calculate percent ionization.

if you did an ICE table, the equilibrium concentration of the amine is [ x minus (the [OH-] concentration you calculated)], which is the one you just calculated. x is the original concentration you are trying to solve for. I believe you just have to add 1.205 x 10^-5 to the amine concentration you calculated to get the original amine concentration and use that to calculate the percent ionization.

Hope this helps!

Hi! I am also having trouble with this problem and I was wondering from where you got 1.205 x 10^-5. Is this the value of the OH- value you calculated?

ChihWei Chen 2C

Postby ChihWei Chen 2C » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:41 pm

Daniela Santana 2L wrote:
ChihWei Chen 2C wrote:Hi!

Hope this helps!

Hi! I am also having trouble with this problem and I was wondering from where you got 1.205 x 10^-5. Is this the value of the OH- value you calculated?

Hi! Yes! That's the equilibrium concentration of OH- I calculated. Apparently sapling changes the values in the questions for different people so we get different versions. The [OH-] I calculated doesn't match the question asked here. The correct [OH-] for this version of the question should be in the original post.

Return to “Calculating pH or pOH for Strong & Weak Acids & Bases”