Weak and strong bases

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Tracy Tran 3L

Weak and strong bases

Postby Tracy Tran 3L » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:33 am

Would you be able to identify weak bases and strong bases using the same reasoning as strong/weak acids?

Joshua Lee 3C

Re: Weak and strong bases

Postby Joshua Lee 3C » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:18 am

I believe that the main way you would recognize a weak base is if you see a compound that has nitrogen with a lone pair. Additionally, any amines are weak bases and ammonia is a weak base. Additionally, I believe that a generalization could be made about bases as well, in that organic bases tend to be weak. This is due to the first idea I stated in that compounds with nitrogen with a lone pair can act as a weak base.

Tania Peymany 1A

Re: Weak and strong bases

Postby Tania Peymany 1A » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:21 am

I believe some reasoning that can be used to determine if a base is strong or weak is to look at the electronegativity of the electronegative atom. It is because oxygen is very high in electronegativity that it draws protons in more than nitrogen does as nitrogen has a small electronegativity value. Because oxygen has a higher electronegativity, it results in stronger bases when formed with group 1 and 2 metals. And amines are considered to be weak because they don't pull protons to them as much as group 1 and 2 metals with oxides and hydroxides do.

Return to “Calculating pH or pOH for Strong & Weak Acids & Bases”