Weak Acids vs Weak Bases

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Samantha Toscano 2C

Weak Acids vs Weak Bases

Postby Samantha Toscano 2C » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:46 pm

Hi! To tell apart the strong acids from the weak acids, I looked at the list strong acids. What would be the easiest way to tell apart weak acids from weak bases?

Ethan Famas 1H

Re: Weak Acids vs Weak Bases

Postby Ethan Famas 1H » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:10 pm

I think distinguishing weak acids from weak bases is easiest if you compare them to the strong acids and bases, and use the definition of Arrhenius, Bronsted-Lowry, and Lewis acids/bases. Here's one way to think about it: any other compound that can produce/donate H+ or accept an electron pair that is not a strong acid is a weak acid. An example is acetic acid, (CH3COOH). Likewise, any other compound that produces -OH, accepts H+, or donates an electron pair that is not a strong base is a weak base. An example is ammonia (NH3).

Miranda Hess 3I

Postby Miranda Hess 3I » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:39 pm

I always immediately look for a solitary H to indicate acids. HCl, HBr, etc. Not always true so it doesn't work as a rule, but it's a good indicator just like OH is for bases

Daniela G 2C

Postby Daniela G 2C » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:49 pm

Weak acids and Weak bases are not 100% ionized in aqueous solutions. Weak acids usually have an H in front of it, while weak bases tend to have an N or OH. The easiest distinguishment is between strong vs weak acids and bases. Once you identify the strong acids and bases, everything else apart from those is weak acids and bases.

Return to “Calculating pH or pOH for Strong & Weak Acids & Bases”