How can you tell if an acid/base is polyprotic?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ananta3G

How can you tell if an acid/base is polyprotic?

Postby Ananta3G » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:31 am

Hi! How does one tell if an acid/base is polyprotic? Can someone give me some examples of acids and bases that meet these conditions? Thanks!

Ashley Tran 2I

Re: How can you tell if an acid/base is polyprotic?

Postby Ashley Tran 2I » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:01 am

You can tell if something is a polyphonic acid if it has more than one H+ cation. For example H2S,H2SO4,H3PO4.

Polyphonic bases can accept more than one proton. It can be recognized by compounds with cations of a greater than +1 charge. This is because OH- is -1 so if the cation is more than +1 we need more OH- to balance out the charge. For example, Mg(OH)2, Ca(OH)2, etc.

Ying Yan 1F

Postby Ying Yan 1F » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:09 pm

Usually, if a molecule has more than one hydrogen molecule, it means it is polyprotic (I.e. H2SO4) since it shows that they are able to donate more than one proton. As for polyprotic bases, they are able to accept more than one protons, therefore, you can look out for those when you see a molecule with > 1+ charge. Hope that helps!

Shrayes Raman

Postby Shrayes Raman » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:08 am

Molecules that have more than H+ tend to be polyprotic more often than not, especially when in the front of the name ie H2S04

Lauren Sanchez 3D

Postby Lauren Sanchez 3D » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:57 am

I remember hearing about the term amphiprotic. What is the difference between amphiprotic and polyprotic?

Ananta3G

Postby Ananta3G » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:59 am

Lauren Sanchez 3D wrote:I remember hearing about the term amphiprotic. What is the difference between amphiprotic and polyprotic?

polyprotic is the ability of an acid to donate multiple protons (H+) while amphiprotic means a substance can act as an acid and a base.

Joshua Eidam 2A

Postby Joshua Eidam 2A » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:18 pm

Ananta3G wrote:
Lauren Sanchez 3D wrote:I remember hearing about the term amphiprotic. What is the difference between amphiprotic and polyprotic?

polyprotic is the ability of an acid to donate multiple protons (H+) while amphiprotic means a substance can act as an acid and a base.

Yes, but not to confuse amphiprotic with amphoteric, which are very very similar to each other. Amphiprotic is specific to donating and receiving protons, for which an amphiprotic species can accept and donate H+ ions (for example water). Amphoteric is the more broad term for a species acting and reacting both like an acid and a base. Amphiprotic species are amphoteric but not always the other way around. It is a little confusing but this website: https://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/ac ... ories.html offers a pretty solid explanation. Just ctrl+F "amphiprotic" and it will come up with a little section about it. Hope this helps.

Return to “Polyprotic Acids & Bases”