Calculations of Ka and Kw

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kailani_Dial_2K
Been upvoted: 5 times

Calculations of Ka and Kw

Postby Kailani_Dial_2K » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:31 pm

Hello, I am reading the textbook section E and the toolbox that we are suppose to read is giving detailed instructions on how to calculate the Ka values for polyprotic acids. I understand that it has been said multiple times that this is a chem 14B topic, but he did go over it in class for 20 minutes and has assigned reading that give step by step instructions on how to do the calculations which in my mind is a little concerning. Is calculating the pH of polyprotic acids using the Ka and Kw values something we should know or at least have a conceptual understanding of? Again I understand that it has been said that we won't have to do calculations like those for carbonic acids, but it is slightly worrying to have a full section of reading on them and have talked about them in class at length. What do y'all think?

Sandra Kim 2B

Re: Calculations of Ka and Kw

Postby Sandra Kim 2B » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:05 am

I feel like a problem where we actually have to calculate something using it won't appear on the final but it would be something to keep in mind for 14b. but maybe knowing the concept of its relation to acidity could come in handy.

BoparaiAdeshsurjit2F

Postby BoparaiAdeshsurjit2F » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:27 pm

Kw is the Ka value times the Kb Value

Kayle Lim 2C

Postby Kayle Lim 2C » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:25 pm

I was thinking about this too! Since it was mentioned in lecture and in the reading I think it would just be a good idea to have a solid understanding of the concepts and how they are applied. I wouldn't worry too much about calculations if it is not involved with our practice problems for now. This may be a concept that we will apply and build upon for future topics.

Return to “Polyprotic Acids & Bases”