Amphiprotic

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Bailey Giovanoli 1L

Amphiprotic

Postby Bailey Giovanoli 1L » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:09 pm

Can anyone explain to me what amphiprotic is? How do I identify it?

Aaron Akhavan-Dis1B

Re: Amphiprotic

Postby Aaron Akhavan-Dis1B » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:29 pm

Amphoteric or Amphiprotic means the compound has both acidic and basic characteristics. You can identify this by looking to see if an atom has both a lone pair and H atom attached it. Thus, you could see that it could act as both a Lewis Base (donates electrons) and Lewis acid (accepts electrons.)

Kaylee Messick 3J

Postby Kaylee Messick 3J » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:30 pm

Amphiprotic means that molecule can both accept and donate protons. This is different from amphoteric which means that molecule can act as both an acid and a base, but might not necessary involve protons. In the textbook, they gave the example of water as an amphiprotic molecule. Hope this helps!

Shiley_David_1D

Postby Shiley_David_1D » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:19 am

Bailey Giovanoli 1L wrote:Can anyone explain to me what amphiprotic is? How do I identify it?

Hi Bailey!

Amphiprotic species refer to molecules or ions which, depending on the circumstance, can donate or accept a proton. An easy example to remember is water. When an acid donates a proton to water, it accepts it and is considered a base. On the other hand, when a base reacts with water, the water molecule can donate a proton and is considered an acid.

Hope this helps!

Akshat Katoch 2K

Postby Akshat Katoch 2K » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:41 pm

Amphiprotic means that a molecule can accept or donate protons. Water is a good example. It can donate its proton and become OH- (Bronsted acid) or it can accept a proton and become H3O+ (Bronsted base).

kareena_prasad

Postby kareena_prasad » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:15 am

Amphiprotic means that the compound and switch between being an acid and being a base based on the situation.

Return to “Polyprotic Acids & Bases”