Occurence

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

krish shah
Been upvoted: 1 time

Occurence

Postby krish shah » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:58 pm

Can certain compounds that are acids and bases have the potential to be polyprotic, but decide to donate or receive only one hydrogen atom. Also, does the term only apply to bronsted lowry

Tianle Zheng

Re: Occurence

Postby Tianle Zheng » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:34 am

Hi,
Polyprotic acid and base are compounds that have the potential to donate or receive more than one proton. In my mind, this process works as an equilibrium where a portion of polyprotic acid and base decide to donate no proton, one proton, two protons, or more. Being polyprotic doesn't mean it has to donate all of its protons, the donation happens randomly according to their energy level, so being polyprotic simply means they have the ability to donate more than one, but does not indicate they must. My understanding for being bronsted lowry is it does not really matter. Donating a proton and receiving an electron works the same in my mind since I interpret them as the same thing written in two different ways -- losing a proton means an H+ leaves the central atom, so an electron is donated from the hydrogen and received by the central atom. Therefore, I think polyprotic could be used to explain not only bronsted lowry.
Hope this helps:)

Return to “Polyprotic Acids & Bases”