deciding whether the solution of a salt is basic, acidic, or neutral

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sarah Blake-2I

deciding whether the solution of a salt is basic, acidic, or neutral

Postby Sarah Blake-2I » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:25 pm

In section 6D.3 in the textbook, they talk about how to decide whether the solution of a salt will be acidic, basic, or neutral. I was a little lost when they explain it in the book, so could someone further explain this concept to me? And will we need to do problems regarding this concept for the final?

Sanjana K - 2F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: deciding whether the solution of a salt is basic, acidic, or neutral

Postby Sanjana K - 2F » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:01 pm

If, in the presence of water, a salt gains an H+ (becoming an acid) and produces OH- ions, the solution will be basic. If, in the presence of water, a salt loses an H+ (becoming a base) and produces H+ ions, the solution will be basic.

ex:
C2H3O2 (-) (aq) + H2O (l) ---> HC2H3O2 (aq) + OH- (aq)
so basic

Kassidy Ford 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Kassidy Ford 1I » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:45 am

Also if you are making a mixture of a strong acid and a strong base with the same concentration, the resulting salt and solution will be neutral; you can think of the acid and base cancelling each other out. If you mix a strong acid with a weak base, the resulting solution will be acidic (although weak) because the stronger acid will dissociate more and make the resulting solution more acidic. Use the same logic when mixing a strong base with a weak acid, resulting in a basic salt.

Sharon Rodriguez 3H

Postby Sharon Rodriguez 3H » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:02 am

This will likely be information we need to know for the final. If questions do not directly ask about it, the concepts themselves will help regardless!

Postby 805097738 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:43 pm

Sanjana K - 1E wrote:If, in the presence of water, a salt gains an H+ (becoming an acid) and produces OH- ions, the solution will be basic. If, in the presence of water, a salt loses an H+ (becoming a base) and produces H+ ions, the solution will be basic. <- you mean acidic??**

ex:
C2H3O2 (-) (aq) + H2O (l) ---> HC2H3O2 (aq) + OH- (aq)
so basic

Catherine Daye 1L

Postby Catherine Daye 1L » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:15 am

You should start by writing out the chemical equation of the salt in water. If the product has H+/H3O+, then the solution is acidic. If the product has OH-. then the solution is basic.

Return to “Identifying Acidic & Basic Salts”