Titration

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Anya Holbrook 1E

Titration

Postby Anya Holbrook 1E » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:57 pm

Hi, in Dr. Lavelle's lecture he mentioned that titration can help us determine what the concentration of an acid or a base is, but I was wondering if you absolutely had to know whether the sample is an acid or a base before performing the experiment? Is there any way to use titration to determine if a sample is an acid or a base?

Namratha Gujje

Re: Titration

Postby Namratha Gujje » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:02 pm

From what I know I don't think so. We need to use an acid and base pair in order to do titration and if we don't know if its an acid or a base then we wouldn't be able to use its opposite to find the concentration. I think we would need to know if it was an acid or a base, along with the samples volume.

Kyle Walsh 2J

Postby Kyle Walsh 2J » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:03 pm

Hi! So the majority of the time, these titrations only work because you can experimentally determine when the solution is an acid or a base, either through an indicator or some other form of pH test. For every titration, you will know the whether it the solution starts as an acid or a base because to find the equivalence point you need to know what the starting pH is.

Mari Williams 1K

Postby Mari Williams 1K » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:39 pm

Probes and litmus papers can be used to test pH of a sample before you use it, but for titrations you generally know whether your sample is an acid or base.

rhettfarmer-3H

Postby rhettfarmer-3H » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:17 pm

So Titrations are not usually known before, Like we said we use it to see if it balanced, acid or basic. We are focusing on that stoichiometric point, Which means that the two moles of bases and acids are the same. This will let you know if the sample is acid or basic. Furthermore, it can help in the sense of knowing how strong or weak the base/acid is. Furthermore, there is a way using chemical equations to find h+ concentration or oh concentration to find the ph.

Return to “Identifying Acidic & Basic Salts”