How to identify acids and bases?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Zoe FC 1C

How to identify acids and bases?

Postby Zoe FC 1C » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:10 pm

Hi,
I'm sort of confused on how to identify acids and bases. I thought that all acids had a hydrogen, and all bases had an OH, but ammonia (NH3) is considered a weak base even though it doesn't have OH. Can someone clarify why this is?

Sydney Lam_2I

Re: How to identify acids and bases?

Postby Sydney Lam_2I » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:36 pm

Hi! So the best way to identify if the molecule is an acid or base is to see if the reaction will produce OH- molecules or H3O+ molecules. In your example, NH3 would combine with water and the proton from the water would attach to the NH3 to form NH4+ and OH-. Since OH- is produced. the solution would be basic.

Justin Nguyen 3E

Postby Justin Nguyen 3E » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:35 pm

To add on to what Sydney said, acids can donate their protons (in the form of H+), whereas bases accept those protons.

Khoa Vu 3l

Postby Khoa Vu 3l » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:42 pm

You can also use different definitions of acids and bases to identify which molecules are an acid or which molecules are a base. Those before me have stated the Arrhenius definition of an acid vs a base (H+ creator in H2O vs OH- creator in H2O) and the Bronsted-Lowry definition of an acid vs a base (H+ donor vs H+ acceptor). However, for your example, I believe it best to use the Lewis definition for an acid vs a base (Electron-pair acceptor vs an electron-pair donor). NH3 has a lone pair of electrons that it can donate to form a bond with hydrogen, making NH4. Because it is an electron pair donor, it can be called a lewis base.

Tam Nguyen 2B

Postby Tam Nguyen 2B » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:02 pm

There are multiple definitions to acids and bases because they have different properties. As long as you remember the Arrhenius, Bronsted-Lowry, and Lewis definitions in any sort of combination, you'll be able to distinguish acids and bases.

Vince Li 2A

Postby Vince Li 2A » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:54 am

An acid is a compound that either gives off a H+ proton (Bronsted Acid) or is an electron pair acceptor (Lewis Acid), due to how the H+ ion leaves to form a coordinate covalent bond with the base, and the original bond becomes a lone pair on the acid. A base is a compound that accepts a H+ proton (Bronsted Base) or is an electron pair donor(Lewis Base), due to how the base forms a coordinate covalent bond with the H+ ion, thus donating an electron pair. Regarding NH3, in the presence of water, the NH3 will act as a base, due to how the H+ proton on water leaves to form NH4+. However, it is important to note that this does not happen often, which explains the very low Kb value (weak base).

Rahul Sobti 1E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Rahul Sobti 1E » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:50 am

If it is able to donate an H it as an acid or if it can accept an H it is a base. Even for salts, LiF is a weak base because once the Li and F dissociate in water, F- wants to pick up a proton, just as a base would.

Simi Kapila_3E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Simi Kapila_3E » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:16 pm

Acids are typically substances that release and proton (H+), while bases typically want to gain a proton. In your example NH3, ammonia, would be more stable as NH4+, ammonium, than it would be as NH2-, so it would be more inclined to take on a proton.

Akshat Katoch 2K

Postby Akshat Katoch 2K » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:21 pm

It depends on what definitions for acids and bases you are using.

Lewis Acid/Base:
Lewis Acid: electron pair acceptor
Lewis Base: electron-pair donor

Bronsted-Lowry Acid/Base:
Bronsted acid: proton donor
Bronsted base: proton acceptor

Arrhenius Acid/Base:
Acid: supplies H+
Base: supplies OH-

Once you figure out what is being accepted and donated you can figure out what definition you are using and then figure out the acid and bases accordingly.

Return to “Identifying Acidic & Basic Salts”