How to Determine acidic/basic/neutral salts

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Raashi Chaudhari 3B

How to Determine acidic/basic/neutral salts

Postby Raashi Chaudhari 3B » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:25 pm

Hi,
It seems like (from what I've read so far) that we have to already know what the strong acids and bases are, but even after I am able to identify that I am unsure what to do with that information. I feel like its just me having to constantly guess and check on those sorts of identifying questions.
Are we supposed to assume that the reaction with the acid/base was with salt and it produced a conjugate acid/base and a salt?
I think I am just very confused about this neutralization reaction and how a salt can have acid, basic, or neutral properties.

Nika Gladkov 1A
Been upvoted: 7 times

Re: How to Determine acidic/basic/neutral salts

Postby Nika Gladkov 1A » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:35 pm

A salt can have acidic or basic properties if it is dissolved in water. Since the salt is made up of a cation and an anion, they both can be either conjugate bases or conjugate acids that, when dissolved in water, will affect the pH. For example, with NaF, it is made up of Na+ and F-. Na+ is the conjugate acid of NaOH, which is a strong base. Therefore, it is a weak acid and does not affect pH. F- is the conjugate base of HF, which is a weak acid. Therefore it is a strong base and does affect pH. Since F has the bigger impact on pH, the aqueous salt solution would be basic. You can then set up an ICE table to figure out exactly what the concentration of OH- would be and, from that, get the pH.

A neutralization reaction is a reaction between an acid and a base to produce salt and water. It will always go to completion. If you have no limiting reactants and everything is used, you would first need to see what salt is produced in you neutralization reaction and then test its cation and anion to figure out what the pH of the final solution is.

Laura 3l
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: How to Determine acidic/basic/neutral salts

Postby Laura 3l » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:22 pm

Nika Gladkov 1A wrote:A salt can have acidic or basic properties if it is dissolved in water. Since the salt is made up of a cation and an anion, they both can be either conjugate bases or conjugate acids that, when dissolved in water, will affect the pH. For example, with NaF, it is made up of Na+ and F-. Na+ is the conjugate acid of NaOH, which is a strong base. Therefore, it is a weak acid and does not affect pH. F- is the conjugate base of HF, which is a weak acid. Therefore it is a strong base and does affect pH. Since F has the bigger impact on pH, the aqueous salt solution would be basic. You can then set up an ICE table to figure out exactly what the concentration of OH- would be and, from that, get the pH.

A neutralization reaction is a reaction between an acid and a base to produce salt and water. It will always go to completion. If you have no limiting reactants and everything is used, you would first need to see what salt is produced in you neutralization reaction and then test its cation and anion to figure out what the pH of the final solution is.

Thank you, this was helpful :)

Return to “Identifying Acidic & Basic Salts”