Fundamentals J #17

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sharon Chu 3I

Fundamentals J #17

Postby Sharon Chu 3I » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:13 pm

This is for part A)
The question is: In each of the following salts, either the cation or the anion is a weak acid or a weak base in water. Write the chemical equation for the proton transfer reaction of this cation or anion with water:
a) NaC6H5O

I know Na+ has no effect on the pH, so I do not include it in my chemical equation. How would I write this? So far I have C6H5O- + H2O ---> C6H5OH + OH-
I also know that NaC6H5O is a salt that comes from a strong base (NaOH) and a weak acid. Another question I have is that Is C6H5O- a conjugate base of the weak acid C6H5OH? Finally, Because this anion is mixed w water, I know the charge indicates it is an electron donor, therefore a base, and that is why it accepts H+, causing production of OH-? I want to know if I'm understanding this completely and if I am missing any information. Any clarification is super helpful!, Thanks so much!

Emily Ngo 1E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Fundamentals J #17

Postby Emily Ngo 1E » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:05 pm

Hi Sharon,
The answer I got was: C6H5O-(aq) + H2O(l) --> C6H5OH(aq) + OH-(aq) as well. The Na would completely dissociate since its a strong base while C6H5O would only partially dissociate since its a weak acid.
To answer your other question: yes, C6H5O- is a conjugate base of the weak acid C6H5OH.

Sharon Chu 3I

Re: Fundamentals J #17

Postby Sharon Chu 3I » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:08 pm

Emily Ngo 1D wrote:Hi Sharon,
The answer I got was: C6H5O-(aq) + H2O(l) --> C6H5OH(aq) + OH-(aq) as well. The Na would completely dissociate since its a strong base while C6H5O would only partially dissociate since its a weak acid.
To answer your other question: yes, C6H5O- is a conjugate base of the weak acid C6H5OH.

Ah thank you Emily!

Return to “Identifying Acidic & Basic Salts”