How do you know if something is a salt solution?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Hope Hyland 2D

How do you know if something is a salt solution?

Postby Hope Hyland 2D » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:02 am

Whenever I encounter a salt solution/buffer problem, I immediately get confused. Can someone explain what exactly a salt solution is, and how to go about finding the pH? I don't really understand the context of these questions so I think that's why I'm confused. It would be awesome if someone could break it down into the basics.

Tyler Angtuaco 1G

Re: How do you know if something is a salt solution?

Postby Tyler Angtuaco 1G » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:17 pm

A salt solution would just be a salt plus water. The method to find pH would vary depending on what's given to you. But, you know that buffer solutions are created from a weak acid and its salt, which gives you more clues about a given reaction. Sometimes, you'll also be given Ka or Kb, which you can use to calculate the concentration of hydronium in the reaction and pH.
Last edited by Tyler Angtuaco 1G on Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KeyaV1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby KeyaV1C » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:18 pm

This is a useful link: https://courses.lumenlearning.com/chemi ... solutions/

When you are given a problem with a salt in water, the salt dissociates. Ex. NaF + H20 -> Na+ + HF + OH -

Since the Na+ is a stable ion and doesn't contribute to the pH, you can set up an ice table to calculate the concentration of OH- using the Kb that you are given. Taking 14+log(OH-) should give you the pH.

Daria Azizad 1K

Postby Daria Azizad 1K » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:40 pm

A salt will dissociate into its constituent ions in water, so the ion that is an acid or base will act the same way as a normal acid/base and you will solve it the same way.

RobertXu_2J

Postby RobertXu_2J » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:06 am

Salt solutions dissociate in solutions. A "salt" is basically any ionic molecule with anion and cations.

Ian Morris 3C

Postby Ian Morris 3C » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:33 pm

in this class all you really need to know is that a salt solution will dissociate into ions in water, meaning it will turn into an acid or base

Return to “Calculating the pH of Salt Solutions”