Titration Diagram

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

JakeSaum_1A

Titration Diagram

Postby JakeSaum_1A » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:38 am

In the Titration diagram, what do the points labeled A,B,C,D, and E stand for? Are they as important as the stoichiometric point?

SelenaDahabreh1D
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: Titration Diagram

Postby SelenaDahabreh1D » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:41 am

I believe they just highlight data points, so that when you draw the curve with all of your plotted data you would better be able to identify the stoichiometric point. I think those points you are asking about specifically are just the pH of solution as they correspond to the volume of the solution.

Kelly Yun 2I

Postby Kelly Yun 2I » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:29 pm

I think you're good to go as long as you can identify which point the stoichiometric/equivalence point lies in (when y axis is pH7). I don't think the rest of the points mean anything, but you should be able to relate those points to acidity of the titration solution by looking at the pH indicated in the y axis.

Leyla Anwar 3B

Postby Leyla Anwar 3B » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:28 pm

To be clear, we don't really have to know tritration for the final do we? Is what we have to know basically the stoichiometric point where moles acids added = moles of base sample?

Shrinidhy Srinivas 3L
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Shrinidhy Srinivas 3L » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:26 am

I believe that we don't need to know about all the different points on a titration diagram. The main thing is that you should be able to predict whether the stoichiometric point of a titration would be greater than, less than, or equal to 7 based on the acids and bases that interacted. For reference:
Strong Acid + Strong Base = Stoich Point is equal to 7
Strong Acid + Weak Base = Stoich Point is less than 7
Weak Acid + Strong Base = Stoich Point is greater than 7
Weak Acid + Weak Base = don't worry about it yet, that's for 14b!

Return to “Calculating the pH of Salt Solutions”