Na and Cl's influence on pH

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Isaac Wen
Been upvoted: 1 time

Na and Cl's influence on pH

Postby Isaac Wen » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:14 pm

Hi! In one of the lectures, Dr. Lavelle mentioned that Na+ and Cl- do not affect the pH of the solution they're in. Why is that? And if there's a rule that explains this phenomenon, can the same thing be applied to all Group 1 and Group 17 elements?

Kailani_Dial_2K
Been upvoted: 5 times

Re: Na and Cl's influence on pH

Postby Kailani_Dial_2K » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:21 pm

Na+ is a conjugate acid of a strong base. Since it is from a strong base it is therefore a weak acid which means that it is unlikely that it will repick-up the OH- that it gave to water. Cl- is a conjugate base of the strong acid HCl. Since it is from a strong acid it is therefore, a weak base. This means that it is umlikley to pick up an H again. Therefore, Cl- and Na+ do not interact with the water molecules, so they don't increase the hydroxide or hydronium ions and therefore do not affect pH. This can be applied to any conjugate acid/base that comes from a strong acid/ base.

Eliot Kagan 2G

Postby Eliot Kagan 2G » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:18 pm

Rather than not interacting, Na+ isn't strong enough to make the water molecules lose a hydrogen like Fe, Cr, Al, Cu, and Ni.
A general rule to follow is that the cations in groups 1 and 2 aren't strong enough to affect the pH.

For anions, the really strong anions create a more basic solution because they take an H+ from the surrounding water and create OH-.
If you want more info, I recommend checking out the 12/7 lecture.

Kamille Kibria 2A

Postby Kamille Kibria 2A » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:02 pm

i did not understand this either but the rule i follow that helped me out a lot is that if the element is associated with a strong acid or strong base, it will not affect the pH of the solution. Cl is associate w strong acid HCl and Na is associated w strong base NaOH. this is because if you were to dissolve either Cl or Na (separate) in H20, it will not increase the concentration of H3o+ or OH-

Justin Nguyen 3E

Postby Justin Nguyen 3E » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:19 pm

What helped me understand the effect of Na+ and Cl- on pH was that because both atoms possess filled valence shells, they don't have an inclination to take or give protons/electrons, thus not affecting pH.

Cory Poon 3G

Postby Cory Poon 3G » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:04 pm

Na+ can't influence the pH of a solution since it's from group 1 on the periodic table. Cl- can also not affect pH because it has a full valence shell, making it not interact with other atoms.

Katie 3H

Postby Katie 3H » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:16 pm

How do ions or elements have influence on pH at all?

Daniel Li 3C

Postby Daniel Li 3C » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:34 pm

Na is the conjugate of a strong base NaOH and Cl is the conjugate of a strong acid HCl, therefore when it forms NaCl, it becomes neutral.

Tammy Shen 2L

Postby Tammy Shen 2L » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:01 pm

NaCl is neutral and does not affect pH because Na and Cl are conjugates of strong acids and bases. When they come together, they are neutral.

Naman Jain 3F

Postby Naman Jain 3F » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:05 pm

You have to focus on if they are very weak conjugate bases or acids (which are from strong bases or acids). As for Na+, it is a weak conjugate acid of a strong base NaOH, and Cl- is a weak conjugate base of a strong acid HCl. Therefore, when they are in an aqueous solution, they are not accepting H+, nor donating H+ to the H20 molecules, and not affecting the pH either.

Muryam_Hasan_2I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Muryam_Hasan_2I » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:22 pm

You first take NaCl, look at Na+ and Cl- separately, and determine their respective conjugate acid/base. The conjugate base of Na+ is NaOH and the conjugate acid of Cl- is HCl. Since they are both strong, we can conclude that their subsequent acid/base of Na+ and Cl- will be weak, and therefore will not affect the pH.

Cecilia Lei 3K

Postby Cecilia Lei 3K » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:11 pm

I think they won’t affect pH because Na+ is in group now and Cl- is the conjugate base of a strong acid.

Return to “Calculating the pH of Salt Solutions”