Textbook Question 6D.11

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Eliana Carney 3E

Textbook Question 6D.11

Postby Eliana Carney 3E » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:25 pm

Hey guys! I'm unsure about how to write the chemical formulas for the aqueous solutions in textbook question 6D.11. Specifically, I don't understand how to write the equations for part E and F. If someone could explain where the answer key got the additional water molecules attached to the metal cations, that would be appreciated!

David Jen 1J

Re: Textbook Question 6D.11

Postby David Jen 1J » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:55 pm

Me too. Also, does Al3+ make it's surrounding solution acidic because it can give off protons or is it accepting electrons?

Lea Chamoun 2J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Textbook Question 6D.11

Postby Lea Chamoun 2J » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:20 pm

So I think that Al3+ makes the surrounding solution acidic because first, it is forming bonds with H2O. When this happens, the O that forms the coordinate covalent bond with Al3+ now has 3 bonds. O is not very stable when it has 3 bonds, and the positive charge on the Al3+ delocalizes the electrons in the molecule and weakens the OH bond. The OH bond is weakened enough that the H+ will be given off to H2O, which will form H3O+. So by gaining electrons in the coordinate covalent bond with O, Al3+ helps weaken the bond between the OH so that the entire molecule Al(H2O) gives off a proton to water.
However, I am also unsure how to write the equation- specifically why the Al3+ forms 6 bonds with 6 different H2O molecules. For part f, the Cu also forms 6 bonds with H2O, so could someone also explain why? Is it just because the transition metals and Al like to form octahedral complexes?

Return to “Calculating the pH of Salt Solutions”