Questions About Organizing Solutions by pH

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Adam_Ventura_1H

Questions About Organizing Solutions by pH

Postby Adam_Ventura_1H » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:25 pm

When trying to arrange solutions on their pH, would it make sense to try to identify which solutions have strong bases and strong acids, as those with strong acids will have a low pH and the strong bases will have high pH? Also, would it be correct to assume that solutions with overall negative charge will probably be basic and those that are overall positive would be acidic? I am not sure if this will work but I saw some patterns that led me to think that maybe.

Hana Sigsbee 3B

Re: Questions About Organizing Solutions by pH

Postby Hana Sigsbee 3B » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:52 pm

Hi, yes if you want to arrange solutions on their pH, the strong acids will have the lowest pH and the strong bases will have the highest pH so it makes sense to identify these to put them in order. Then of course weak bases will have a lower pH than the strong bases but still higher than the acids and weak acids will have a lower pH than the bases but higher pH than the strong acids.

Eliana Witham 2H
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Questions About Organizing Solutions by pH

Postby Eliana Witham 2H » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:26 pm

I think (not exactly sure) that in some cases like strong acids/bases, solutions that are negatively charged are acidic and positively charged are basic. This would be because when acids dissociate, the products will be an anion and H+ ion. The anion will make the solution negative. The same reasoning goes for bases.

Return to “Calculating the pH of Salt Solutions”