Relationship Between Ka and pH

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Relationship Between Ka and pH

Postby 505671751 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:00 pm

What is the relationship between Ka and pH? Is there a direct relationship that can be written out in a formula?

Sydney Trieu 2B

Re: Relationship Between Ka and pH

Postby Sydney Trieu 2B » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:05 pm

Ka and pH are related because the lower the pH value is, the higher the value for Ka is. If an acid has a lower pH, its Ka value will be larger compared to a weaker acid (higher pH). However, a strong acid doesn't have a Ka value since the acid completely dissociates when it reacts with water.

Alex Caracalla 1I

Postby Alex Caracalla 1I » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:14 pm

Generally speaking, a lower pH value (more acidic solution) corresponds to a higher Ka value. Ka is the acid dissociation constant, meaning the higher it is, the more an acid tends to dissociate in an aqueous solution. Naturally, this corresponds to a lower pH value. I don’t think we’ve learned any sort of direct mathematical relationship between these two values yet, though maybe we will later in the course.

Lindsey_Tran_3I

Postby Lindsey_Tran_3I » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:15 pm

Ka and pH are inversely proportional. Since Ka measures the ratio of products to reactants, its value can be used to use to determine how much of something has dissociated, which can then be used to determine how acidic it is. The greater the Ka, (products > reactants), the more dissociation. The more dissociation, the more acidic the substance. The more acidic the substance, the lower it lands on the pH scale. Therefore, as Ka goes up, pH goes down, and as Ka goes down, pH goes up.

I don't think the relationship between Ka and pH can be expressed in a formula. However, pKa and pKb can be expressed as pKa + pKb = pKw = 14.

Andrew Nguyen 3L

Postby Andrew Nguyen 3L » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:21 pm

Usually, a higher Ka indicates a stronger acid due to the fact that more hydronium ions would be present in the product when thinking about the equilibrium formula. This high amount of hydronium ions also happens to correlate with a lower pH. Hope this helps!

Mari Brielle Mailed 1B

Postby Mari Brielle Mailed 1B » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:12 pm

Ka, which is commonly known as the acidity constant, measures the likelihood of a proton transfer to water (yielding H3O+). A higher Ka value indicates that an acid is more likely to dissociate into ions. As a result, the pH is stronger, and the pH value is therefore lower. In summary, there is an inverse relationship between Ka and pH. It's also important to note that Ka is usually only provided for weak acids.

charliea100

Postby charliea100 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:15 pm

If a Ka is high, that means the acid dissociates a lot. A higher Ka would thus mean it is more acidic and a lower pH.
a lower Ka would means the acid does not dissociate as much and the pH would be higher.

Ethan Liang 1A

Postby Ethan Liang 1A » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:19 pm

There's also an equation called the Henderson-Hasselbach equation (we didn't learn it in class) that can help you see the relationship between pKa and pH numerically.

It's pH=pKa+log([A-]/[HA]).

But if you prefer to think about it conceptually, I'd go with what the other responses say. The acid is stronger if it has a higher Ka (or lower pKa), which means it has a lower pH.

Allie Kinsey 3H

Postby Allie Kinsey 3H » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:37 pm

Hi, does anyone know if there a way to get from pKa to Ka easily?

Return to “Calculating the pH of Salt Solutions”