Salt that is both basic and acidic

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sylvia Zhang 2L

Salt that is both basic and acidic

Postby Sylvia Zhang 2L » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:33 pm

If you have a salt that is both basic and acidic, what effect will that have on the pH of the solution in water?

Ava Vehemente 3D

Re: Salt that is both basic and acidic

Postby Ava Vehemente 3D » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:30 am

Hi, do you have an example of a salt that is both acidic and basic? It may be possible but I personally have never come across a salt that has both basic and acidic properties. However, I would assume that the basic and acidic properties would offset and not change the pH unless the salt is more strongly basic or more strongly acidic, in which case the pH would be affected by whichever one is stronger.

Jess Kosz 1B

Postby Jess Kosz 1B » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:08 pm

Hi! Personally I have never encountered a problem in this class or any other chemistry class that prompts a reaction with a salt that is both acidic and basic. If you’re finding this information from a problem, could you please include it as I’m actually very interested in seeing this.

Julia Mizzi 2I

Postby Julia Mizzi 2I » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:32 pm

I'm not sure it's possible to have a salt that is both acidic and basic as the pH will either be less than 7 or greater than 7, and not both

Ilisa Risal 1H

Postby Ilisa Risal 1H » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:43 pm

I don't think a salt can be basic and acidic at the same time. If its conjugate acid and base are both strong than its likely a neutral salt.

Return to “Calculating the pH of Salt Solutions”