ocean acidification

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

ocean acidification

Postby 505578531 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:41 pm

Is the creation of acid rain similar to ocean acidification? like are they the same thing?

ColmConnolly3D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: ocean acidification

Postby ColmConnolly3D » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:01 am

Nope, these are different chemical processes. As I understand it, Ocean Acidification is a phenomenon driven by the increased atmospheric carbon dioxide we are producing while acid rain comes from sulfur and nitrogen oxides released into the air.

Ocean acidification comes from the high atmospheric CO2 levels leading to the dissolution of that CO2 in the waters of our oceans. This dissolved CO2 contributes to the reactants side of this chemical equation:

H2CO3 may be a weak acid, but it will still dissociate at oceanic pH levels, leading to the ocean acidification you mention.

Acid rain on the other hand is a phenomenon occurring in much smaller bodies of water that exist for less time. This means that sulfur and nitrogen oxides are far more likely to cause acidification reactions as they will form strong acids (namely sulfuric and nitric acid) which will quickly and completely dissociate, rapidly changing the pH of a raindrop.

I hope this helps!

Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby 805421690 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:04 am

ColmConnolly1E wrote:Nope, these are different chemical processes. As I understand it, Ocean Acidification is a phenomenon driven by the increased atmospheric carbon dioxide we are producing while acid rain comes from sulfur and nitrogen oxides released into the air.

Ocean acidification comes from the high atmospheric CO2 levels leading to the dissolution of that CO2 in the waters of our oceans. This dissolved CO2 contributes to the reactants side of this chemical equation:

H2CO3 may be a weak acid, but it will still dissociate at oceanic pH levels, leading to the ocean acidification you mention.

Acid rain on the other hand is a phenomenon occurring in much smaller bodies of water that exist for less time. This means that sulfur and nitrogen oxides are far more likely to cause acidification reactions as they will form strong acids (namely sulfuric and nitric acid) which will quickly and completely dissociate, rapidly changing the pH of a raindrop.

I hope this helps!

Wow I never knew this, this is actually very interesting since the reefs and other ecosystems within the ocean are being damaged so much by the acidity of the water, I wonder if the acidic rains that pass over ocean waters make it worse?

Harrington Bubb3A

Postby Harrington Bubb3A » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:24 pm

How do you think we can make the ocean more basic to counteract this process?

Return to “Air Pollution & Acid Rain”