Strong Acid-Strong Base Titration Calculations

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Alejandra_Vasquez_1B

Strong Acid-Strong Base Titration Calculations

Postby Alejandra_Vasquez_1B » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:37 pm

Okay so I am a little confused on how to calculate a pH value. In my PLF session I was told that if you have a strong acid and strong base calculation problem we can use the given concentration in the problem to solve for the initial pH. However, in lecture we had to do extra math in order to find a concentration. Is it correct to just use the given concentration of the acid or base to solve for initial pH? Or do I have to make sure that the moles of the base and acid equal each other before determining the pH?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 435 times

Re: Strong Acid-Strong Base Titration Calculations

Postby Chem_Mod » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:09 am

Your question is a little open-ended. If you have a strong acid or a strong base you can assume the concentration of the acid/base equals the concentration of the proton/hydroxide.

If you have a weak acid or base you need to consider the Ka equation to solve for the concentration of proton/hydroxide at equilibrium.

If you have a buffer you need to consider the addition of the conjugate base/conjugate acid, use an ice table, and find out what the concentration of protons or hydroxides is at equilibrium. So, the math depends on what the problem is asking.

Return to “*Titrations & Titration Calculations”