catalysts

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

andrea guzman 1F

catalysts

Postby andrea guzman 1F » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:16 pm

Can a reaction have multiple catalysts and if so under what conditions would this be observed?

Re: catalysts

Postby 606158388 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:16 pm

Yes, it is feasible for more than one catalyst to be involved in a single chemical reaction. Several catalysts cooperating to effectively convert reactants into products are necessary for many complex reactions that occur in nature and industry. One catalyst may aid in one stage of the reaction, while a different catalyst present from the beginning of the reaction may aid in a subsequent stage of the same reaction. The various catalysts can operate independently on distinct stages of the reaction mechanism or sequentially or cooperatively to improve the pace or selectivity of the reaction.

anasofia

Postby anasofia » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:23 pm

Hi!

Yes I do believe that reactions can have multiple catalysts, I don't think we directly worked with such examples in class, but it is possible. In one of the sessions I attended they discussed the hydrogenation of ethylene C2H4 to ethane C2H6, where a metal catalyst like platinum absorbs hydrogen onto its surface from the solution/surroundings, and a promoter (either silver or copper) causes the ethylene to absorb onto the same surface, combining it with the Hydrogen already there. The platinum and copper both act as catalysts which allow it to happen and aide the process.

Valeria Perez 3J

Postby Valeria Perez 3J » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:27 pm

From what I understand, this is possible and it can happen in a variety of ways. The first is sequential catalysts that catalyze different parts of the reaction mechanism, so they are used up at different steps in the kinetic pathway. Another is parallel catalysts that catalyze the reaction at the same but for different pathways or mechanisms, which can lead to the formation of multiple different products from the same reaction. Next is cooperative catalysts that work to either enhance or inhibit one another in the catalysis of a reaction. Finally, there's tandem catalysts where the product of one of the catalytic steps is used as a substrate for another. Hope these examples are helpful!

Postby 106062642 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:31 pm

It is true that a reaction can have more than one catalyst. These are known as multiple catalyst systems or co-catalysts. Within these systems, every catalyst has the potential to influence the reaction by aiding distinct phases or facets of the general procedure. Several catalysts are used in a process as a tactic to improve efficiency, attain particular objectives, and optimize reaction conditions. It is imperative to exercise caution while selecting catalysts and conditions to guarantee their compatibility and efficacy in promoting the intended chemical changes.

Isabelle Huerta 2I

Postby Isabelle Huerta 2I » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:41 pm

Reactions are capable of having more than one catalyst. Some scenarios that I know of where this happens is: (1) there are multiple steps happening within the reactions, (2) the multiple catalysts are there to enhance their activity, and (3) the need for more than one catalyst is linked to the conditions that the reaction is undergoing because different catalysts work best in certain situations.

Return to “Phase Changes & Related Calculations”