Other examples of elements which go through sublimation

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kristen_Power_1C

Other examples of elements which go through sublimation

Postby Kristen_Power_1C » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:24 pm

I found those elements which go through sublimation pretty interesting but can't really seem to find any other examples of other things besides dry ice which go through sublimation. Has anyone found any other chemical compound that goes through sublimation?

Yeon Hee Park 3M

Re: Other examples of elements which go through sublimation

Postby Yeon Hee Park 3M » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:36 pm

I was wondering the same thing and, while looking through the forum, I found someone asked a same question about last year.
The answer said Iodine crystals, water (pg 285), and chemicals in the mothballs (naphthalene) are also common substances that sublimate.
I have seen and known that iodine crystals can sublimate, but have no idea what naphtalene is. does anyone know?

Bronson_Barretto_2C

Postby Bronson_Barretto_2C » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:50 pm

Yes, I also saw that Iodine crystals and water are popular sources of sublimation. I also searched up naphtalene and it appears to be a a natural substance found in mothballs that starts as a solid and sublimates into a toxic gas. This gas has proven to kill insects and repel certain animals, and as such has been popularly used in insecticides and pest repellent. Hopefully this helps, and gives a little insight on a sublimating substance!

Diana_OToole_1F

Postby Diana_OToole_1F » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:56 pm

In the textbook on page 368 it gave a couple more examples of substances that sublimate: "Some solids vaporize in the process called sublimation, which we can observe at room temperature in the presence of pungent solids such as menthol and mothballs (naphthalene)". Naphthalene is used in mothballs because of its ability to poison and suffocate insects in its gaseous form, which is also explains the fact that it sublimates easily at room temperature. And elsewhere I read that camphor is another substance that has a high vapor pressure at room temperature and therefore sublimates easily. Camphor in its solid form has antimicrobial properties so it's often used in many over-the-counter medicines.

Muhammad A Nasir

Postby Muhammad A Nasir » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:59 pm

Hello,

There are many other elements and molecules that go through sublimation. One interesting element that sublimates is Arsenic. Because Arsenic does not melt at a normal pressure it sublimates instead. One interesting fact is that if one puts an Arsenic crystal in a test tube, they can see the gas which Arsenic sublimated into.
Lastly I want to point out that Arsenic can condense under special circumstances. Hope you found this helpful.

Return to “Phase Changes & Related Calculations”