Expansion Work

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Michelle Steinberg2J

Expansion Work

Postby Michelle Steinberg2J » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:08 pm

Section 8.3 of the textbook discusses expansion work. I'm have difficulty understanding expansion work vs. non expansion work. If someone could explain it further I would appreciate it!

Jeremiah Samaniego 2C

Re: Expansion Work

Postby Jeremiah Samaniego 2C » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:23 pm

From what I understand, the main difference is that expansion work involves a change in volume whereas non-expansion work does not involve a change in volume (page 262 also defines both terms as such). On the same page, an example given for expansion work is an expanding gas inside a cylinder that pushes out against the atmosphere (the volume of the system is changing).

Gurvardaan Bal1L
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Gurvardaan Bal1L » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:36 pm

Expansion work is when you perform work(which is when you achieve motion against an opposing force), the changes the volume. A good example of this would be gas in a combustion chamber. As the gas pushes up the piston, there is now more volume in the combustion chamber, which is expansion. The formula for this would be

w = (external pressure) * (change in volume)

Non expansion work would be when work is performed without the volume changing. An example of this type of work would be walking around, lifting weights, etc.. basically any sort of exertion you have without changing the volume.

mayasinha1B

Postby mayasinha1B » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:51 pm

I think that is right that non-expansion work is specifically work where volume does not change

Return to “Phase Changes & Related Calculations”