Heating Capacity from Heating Curve

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

aTirumalai-1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Heating Capacity from Heating Curve

Postby aTirumalai-1I » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:31 pm

Hi, I was reading the textbook, and on page 287, it says "The steeper the slope of a heating curve, the lower is the heat capacity." Can someone explain why this relationship is true?

Thanks in advance!

Chew 2H

Re: Heating Capacity from Heating Curve

Postby Chew 2H » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:43 pm

Because Heating capacity refers to the amount of temperature required to raise a certain substance by 1 degree celcius, lower heat capacity means higher rise in temperature over once heated. So on the heating curve, the temperature rises higher thus making the slope of the curve steeper.

mitalisharma2B

Re: Heating Capacity from Heating Curve

Postby mitalisharma2B » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:21 pm

A steeper slope on a heating curve is indicative of a greater temperature change over a lesser energy expenditure. Heat capacity relates to the amount of energy required to increase the temperature by 1 degree Celsius.

A lower heat capacity will correlate to a steeper slope because it the temperature can be raised much more (high y value) for the same amount of energy (x value) as in a part of the graph with a less steep slope.

In other words, less energy (lower heat capacity) can be used to raise the temperature to the same level as a less steep part of the heating curve.

Return to “Phase Changes & Related Calculations”