Phase change

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

itzeelpadillaDis1A

Phase change

Postby itzeelpadillaDis1A » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:58 am

How do we know when to do a phase change like on #7 on test 1?

Kaileigh Yang 2I

Re: Phase change

Postby Kaileigh Yang 2I » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:43 pm

You know the phase change would occur because it's changing from a solid to a liquid. It is not only increasing in temperature, the heat required to change the physical form of the substance would need to be taken into account as well.

Clement Ng
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Clement Ng » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:19 pm

Usually when temperature is constant and no chemical reaction is occurring.

Kyra LeRoy 1E

Postby Kyra LeRoy 1E » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:54 pm

You'll know to do a phase change when it hits the temperature for fusion or vaporization. I think normally these questions will have to do with ice/water because the melting point is 0 degrees Celsius and boiling is 100 degrees, and so its a pretty straightforward/easy one to remember. If it is ice at 0 degrees then you know you must work with melting, and if it is liquid at 100 degrees you know you have to deal with vaporization.

Pooja Nair 1C

Postby Pooja Nair 1C » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:13 am

You can usually tell it's a phase change from the question either explicitly stating it or from the information given. I think these questions are usually about water, because we already know the melting/freezing point. In the case of #7, since you have a cube of ice at 0.0 Celsius, which is the freezing point, reacting with the tea/water which is at a higher temperature, you can expect melting of the ice cube, as any heat transferred to it will raise the temperature above 0 Celsius.

Return to “Phase Changes & Related Calculations”