closed vs isolated system

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Samantha Hoegl Roy 2C

closed vs isolated system

Postby Samantha Hoegl Roy 2C » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:29 pm

can someone quickly remind me what the difference is? I have a hard time remembering the difference!

Re: closed vs isolated system

Postby 105114680 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:34 pm

A closed system has a fixed amount of matter and can exchange energy with its surroundings. An example would be a cold pack that it used for athletic injuries since it absorbs heat from its surroundings to become cold. An isolated system can exchange neither matter nor energy with its surroundings and an example is a hot liquid sealed inside a thermos bottle. Hope this helped!

Tiffany_Cacy_3D

Postby Tiffany_Cacy_3D » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:38 pm

In both of these the number of particles is fixed and there is no exchange with outside systems in either of them. I am pretty sure the only difference is that a closed system can have a fluctuation in energy but the isolated system cannot. Could anyone explain why? I am still confused how that is actually possible.

Jaira_Murphy_2D

Postby Jaira_Murphy_2D » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:18 pm

Open system: Opened to both heat and matter (Ex. a test tube with liquid inside without a lid)

Closed system: Closed to matter, but open to heat (Ex. a test tube with a closed lid, sitting in hot water; the liquid inside the test tube cannot escape but it can get warmer.)

Isolated system: Closed to both matter and heat. (Ex. a test tube with a closed lid inside of a jar or something so neither matter nor heat can go in or out)

Return to “Phase Changes & Related Calculations”