Systems and Surroundings

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Alex Tchekanov Dis 2k

Systems and Surroundings

Postby Alex Tchekanov Dis 2k » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:32 pm

Can someone please explain why for a closed system the energy is able to be released? Isn't it logical to think that because the system is CLOSED, it is closed off from the surroundings and isn't affected by it?

Pablo 1K

Re: Systems and Surroundings

Postby Pablo 1K » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:53 pm

Feel free to fact check me but if i am not mistaken energy in a closed system can go beyond the closed systems boundaries only in the form of heat/work but not matter. Thats just properties of the system you describe. I think an isolated system is the one where nothign goes in or out at all. Again, i believe its just a described property of the type of system and to make note of.

Kayli Choy 2F

Postby Kayli Choy 2F » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:16 pm

Closed systems can exchange energy in the form of heat, but it cannot exchange matter. For instance, a closed beaker can exchange heat with its surroundings, but not the matter inside of the beaker.

Brittney Hun 2C

Postby Brittney Hun 2C » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:21 pm

A closed system gas a fixed amount of matter, which in that sense makes it closed. Although it can still exchange energy with its surroundings through heat work and transfer. These energy forms can be transferred across system boundaries.

Return to “Phase Changes & Related Calculations”