Phase Change

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Wilson 2E

Phase Change

Postby Wilson 2E » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:35 pm

How do you determine the value of the change in enthalpy between phase states?

KDang_1D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Phase Change

Postby KDang_1D » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:41 pm

The information should be given, possibly in a phase change graph. I believe it would be the difference in y-value between two of the horizontal lines (the height of the diagonal) as this would be the energy into the system to bring the substance from one state up to the next.

DanielTalebzadehShoushtari2A

Postby DanielTalebzadehShoushtari2A » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:47 pm

KDang_1D wrote:The information should be given, possibly in a phase change graph. I believe it would be the difference in y-value between two of the horizontal lines (the height of the diagonal) as this would be the energy into the system to bring the substance from one state up to the next.

Yes, it should be given, either as a phase change graph or as stated values. Stated values will look like delta H (fus) = some number, and that means that the number they give is the phase change enthalpy from solid <--> liquid. delta H (vap) refers to liquid <--> gas.
Also, I think the phase change enthalpy on a graph is actually the horizontal line; the diagonal line happens when temperature is rising and the horizontal line happens when heat is being used not to raise temperature, but to change phases

Jessica Li 4F

Postby Jessica Li 4F » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:09 pm

Those values should be given to you (I.e. the heat of vaporization of water is 40.7 kJ/mol), but it is up to you to multiply those values accordingly depending on how much of something you have (I.e. moles of water).

Juliet Stephenson 4E

Postby Juliet Stephenson 4E » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:14 pm

I also think it would be possible that we would have to calculate the phase change enthalpy for sublimation based on given values of vaporization and fusion.

Return to “Phase Changes & Related Calculations”