Heat vs temperature

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Amy Kumar 1I

Heat vs temperature

Postby Amy Kumar 1I » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:29 pm

During lecture, there was a slide that mentioned that because heat is required during melting or boiling, the temperature of a sample remains constant even though heat is being added. Can someone please explain what this means?

JosephineF

Re: Heat vs temperature

Postby JosephineF » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:31 pm

I think this was in reference to the heating curves. My understanding is that if you to take the temperature of the boiling water it would remain the same temperature until there was a phase change even though you are continuing to add heat to the substance in order to induce said phase change.

Tyler Angtuaco 1G

Postby Tyler Angtuaco 1G » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:12 pm

I think this refers to the moment when a sample is about to change states of matter. If you observe a heat curve, you notice that when ice is melting into water or water is freezing into ice, temperature remains constant regardless of how much heat is added or lost. This is because the sample is absorbing all of the energy, causing its bond structures and abundance of certain intermolecular forces to change. But, it is only until it has absorbed or lost enough energy does the sample change temperature and states of matter.

Anokhi Patel 2B

Postby Anokhi Patel 2B » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:22 pm

temperature measures the amount warmth a sample has while heat measures the energy in a sample in kJ or Calories.

Omar Selim 1D

Postby Omar Selim 1D » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:50 pm

Temperature and heat are different in that for a sample of boiling water, the temperature would remain the same until it undergoes a phase change while heat would be continuously added

Jasmine 2C

Postby Jasmine 2C » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:07 pm

To change something from one phase to another, say, solid to liquid, heat is needed. This can be easily seen in any real-life example (ice becoming water due to heat). What the slide means from "temperature staying constant" means that the process of adding heat is slow so the temperature manage to stay constant, despite the substance changing phases

Maggie Eberhardt - 2H

Postby Maggie Eberhardt - 2H » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:24 pm

so just to clarify, the environment that the reaction is occurring in stays the same temperature despite the sample changing phases?

Return to “Phase Changes & Related Calculations”