Reversible and Irreversible

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Samuel G Rivera - Discussion 4I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Reversible and Irreversible

Postby Samuel G Rivera - Discussion 4I » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:43 pm

What is the difference between reversible and irreversible processes in terms of thermodynamics. Does it have to do with volume changing back to what it was before? I'm confused on the text book's explanation. And also why do reversible processes do more work than irreversible ones?

Diana Chavez-Carrillo 2L

Re: Reversible and Irreversible

Postby Diana Chavez-Carrillo 2L » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:05 am

Irreversible and Reversible changes can occur with isothermal expansion meaning the temperature is constant or ∆T = 0. In irreversible you use the equation: w= -Pe * ∆V which is usually used when you are given constant pressure. For reversible you use the equation: w= -nRT * ln (Vf / Vi). A reversible expansion is also known as a gradual process meaning that work on the surroundings is being done slowly and thus more work is being done and less heat is lost to the surroundings so the reversible performs a higher work than irreversible.

smurphy1D

Postby smurphy1D » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:31 am

Would irreversible reactions occur in open containers then? If the pressure is constant is it always a irreversible reaction?

Madelyn Romberg 1H

Postby Madelyn Romberg 1H » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:40 pm

I have a similar question as above, is anyone able to answer? I would assume it is irreversible since the energy is then lost to heat and cannot be recovered?

Eesha Chattopadhyay 2K

Postby Eesha Chattopadhyay 2K » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:55 pm

What is the relationship between whether a system is in equilibrium and whether or not the changes are reversible or irreversible?

Emily Burghart 1k

Postby Emily Burghart 1k » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:07 pm

smurphy1D wrote:Would irreversible reactions occur in open containers then? If the pressure is constant is it always a irreversible reaction?

In open containers I believe you would use the irreversible equation since you are losing energy in the form of heat to the surroundings. According to the first comment, that would only be if you were given a constant pressure.

Return to “Phase Changes & Related Calculations”